Wednesday 18 May 2016

Day nine Cape Town

DAY NINE - CAPE TOWN

Cape Town
ZUZANNA WALISZEWSKA

Although the next day wasn’t the best one for me (neither for Ilona), I still can recall some moments from that day. I remember we were almost late for our ferry to Robben Island. While Professor Olivier, as a F1 driver, was overtaking a 100th  car, I was just sitting on the back, almost flying from one side of van to another. I’m still very impressed by Professor Olivier’s driving skills. Luckily we made it.  Robben Island was very impressive. Probably it would be even more impressive for me, if I didn’t have to restrain myself from puking. I was praying in my head “Oh God, please, I don’t want to throw up here, on Robben Island”. Anyway, being in the place, where Nelson Mandela spent 27 years was an extraordinary experience. A man who actually was an ex- prisoner was our guide, so this experience was even more significant. On our way back to Cape Town we could observe some dolphins jumping in the water, seals and even whale! After my health problems, we met Karen, and we went together  on Cape Point. The view was breathtaking and it was the moment when you really could think “The world is beautiful”. We also saw some baboons, who were strolling around. One of them, was even walking on the roof of our van!  


















Robben Island

ADRIAN PTASZYŃSKI

Jailhouse Rock

In the morning we are almost late for a ferry ride, because the short, half a kilometer walk Izak sets us on to walk ourselves turns out to be a extensive run around the whole waterfront.Today we visit Robben Island, famous for being a prison island ever since 17th century (something like Australia, but smaller), and most famous for being the place of imprisonment of – naturally and inevitably - Nelson Mandela, and countless other convicts that nobody remembers. Now they have turned it into a museum-style tour serving a political purpose, much like everything else in SA. The ferry ride itself is an adventure of its own – with sun shining down and the water splashing around, all that  is missing to the utter bliss is a cold drink with a little umbrella and a sunbed. We also went on top of the Cape Point, the tip of the Cape of Good Hope, where I shortly consider staying and never leaving, surviving on sheer beauty and tourist leftovers. Similarly to what the local baboons do, completely unbothered by the masses of tourists and just minding their business. This is also the supposed place where the two oceans – the Indian and the Pacific – meet and mingle, but not really. Just what the tourists think.







dinner in Cape Town
MICHAŁ MARCINIAK

In the morning Izak picked me and Adrian up to the ferry, along the way we also picked up Agata. Zuza was already there waiting with professor Olivier. Unfortunately, Ilona had to stay at home because she got sick. We were late for the ferry to Robben Island. Fortunately, professor Olivier did the trick and we are on the ferry. Along the way we saw dolphins, seals and even a whale. We are on the island. Visit in the prison where Nelson Mandela spent 18 years of his life is not the most pleasant experience. However, it was thought-provoking experience. It was time for a moment of reflection. I heard a lot about this man so I think that, even though it was not so pleasant, it was quite a valuable experience for me. After we finished with a museum , we had dinner in the restaurant next to the harbour. I wanted to try kabeljou but it was not available. Instead of this I ate grilled kinglip, which was really well prepared in my opinion.  Later on we went for a ride along the coast. We  get to Cape Point. We saw some baboons closely. One of them even decided to jump on our vehicle.








To Cape Point!
AGATA LEŚNOWOLSKA

Hello Cape Town, I just woke up in Karina's house and I started the day with a croissant and a conversation about books. And I saw HIS study. It just doesn’t get any better.

I don’t think anyone knew that but when I was researching for my presentation on our second year I came across Karina’s essay about South Africa (I’ve included the link in the presentation) and I really, really loved it. It was so honest and peaceful. Since then I’ve been following her blog. So being hosted by her was like two dreams coming true at once. It was also funny (or ridiculous) because when she was introducing herself and telling a little bit about her history I’ve already knew all the facts like a creepy stalker. I hope I wasn’t too awkward or that at least my awkwardness was adorable not embarrassing for it was quite difficult to relax having dinner with THE FAMILY. Overwhelmed by the surprise and paralyzed by the awareness of the date.

Everyone made me feel very welcomed despite the fact that it must have been extremely difficult for it was the heartbreaking February 5. Karina’s hospitality made me feel very special, since from the moment I sat at the table I was treated like I was one of the household members (her cats liking me might have helped). I just cannot find words big enough to describe how meaningful and memorable this experience was for me and I don’t want to trivialize it with some clichés so I’m going to stop now despite my desperate need to go on forever. But please know it was the single most notable thing that happened to me in South Africa and one of the most significant that happened to me in life.

Anyhow, Robben Island. I was prepared to be crushed by sadness. It turns out there is no way for me to actually experience something with so many people around. Talking, joking, suffering from food poisoning. I mean the prison cell was so small and so bare but the kid behind me started to cry and the mother had to go out and then there suddenly there were five more people wanting to take a picture of it and we all had to hurry because the guide was already gone. Please give visitors more time to feel it, to really look. But it did hit me, quite unexpectedly. It was when I heard the story about the cairn of stones at the entrance to the Quarry. It was the most heartbreaking, just imagining Mandela starting the isisivane and the rest of the former prisoners quietly following the lead.

Then we found Karen, or we failed to recognize South African Karen and Professor found her, and took another picturesque road to the Cape Point. On the way we passed the Monkey Valley Resort where Karen used to work as a waitress. We took the cable car (when I get back there I’m going to walk the hell out of South Africa) with a promising name Flying Dutchman Funicular and enjoyed yet another spectacular view. But it was the baboons that stole the show coupling happily, irrespective of children in the audience. There was also one wondering around which (who) ended up on the roof of our car. They inspire a lot of respect because they care so little about humans.

Another front seat drive for me and a springbok pie for dinner. I love you Cape Town.













Cape Point
ILONA KARNIŁO

This whole day I do not wish to be mentioned ever again in my life. I stayed at my host’s flat all day, crying that I’m losing one of the most important days on the trip, and trying to force myself to eat an apple. 


No comments:

Post a Comment