Sunday 10 April 2016

DAY FOUR FROM DURBAN TO GRAHAMSTOWN

DAY FOUR - FROM DURBAN TO GRAHAMSTOWN THROUGH QUNU

ZUZANNA WALISZEWSKA:

Grahamstown was another stop in our journey. Before getting there we had to spent the whole day in our van. However, we had a great opportunity to observe landscapes and “the change of vegetation”. What’s more we had enough time to revise all of the songs that we knew (and we knew them a lot!). The time spent in van wasn’t a wasted time. Although it was quite tiring to sit there for ten hours, we could enjoy beautiful landscapes, and I must admit, I was having  fun singing with boys. Although “singing” is a big word for the sound that was going out from my throat.   That day we could try of our first Wimpy breakfast that unfortunately didn’t impress us. At the end of the day, we arrived to Grahamstown. This time we were sleeping with hosts. Me and Agata were warmly welcomed by Chris and Liz de Wet. It was an extraordinary experience, to stay in the house of South African family and to dine with them. During the dinner with Chris and Liz, we talked about our university and life in Poland. For me, sharing some knowledge about my own country made me feel proud about my own country. Luckily, Liz abandoned the idea of preparing for us traditional South African dinner, so that we could enjoy some chicken and salad (“oh, chicken, I’ve missed you so much”).





From Durban to Grahamstown
ILONA KARNIŁO:

The next day we had another long drive. One of the stops along the way to Grahamstown, was Nelson Mandela’s Museum. What I best remember from that day is that we found it hilarious that Michał’s host is an Afrikaans teacher and her wife an attorney. Logically for us – first they were going to test Michał’s Afrikaans and then, if he fails, put him to jail. In the evening, as we reached Grahamstown, professor took us to our hosts. I was very stressed, as I’ve never been in such situation – I’ve never slept at someone I don’t know. As we entered the house, it turned out that our host, a professor of philosophy, has invited some other professors to have a supper with us. The questions they were asking were quite difficult. At least I was there with Adrian, who was very talkative and could answer every question related to history.



From Durban to Grahamstown
MICHAŁ MARCINIAK:

It was time to leave Durban but first we had to put our stickers on the car. It was challenging  but ,in the end it, the result was not so bad. We are on the way to Grahamstown. The landscape somehow still reminds me of Poland. We stopped for breakfast at Wimpy. As it turned out later, it was the worst breakfast we had when it comes to quick service restaurants. The only thing that I liked there was frozen lemonade. Along the way we see a lot of cattle. The landscape changed, we see a lot of red soil and its erosion. After long hours spent in the car we reached our destination. This is the first night when we stay with the hosts. I'm staying with Lynette and Torquil. We ate dinner together, we talked a little about Poland and about Grahamstown and then I went to bed. When I entered my room I've noticed a big spider on the wall. I asked Lynette about it but she said I have nothing to worry about and that these spiders are the part of the house. I fell asleep even though I was not so relaxed.




From Durban to Grahamstown
AGATA LEŚNOWOLSKA:

According to our brave driver, it was our longest drive. But that was fine because we drove through the beautiful Transkei. Interesting things about Transkei seen from car’s window include: every little town having its own golf course, people selling golf balls next to the road, impressive amount of cattle, sheep and goats just casually crossing the road or eating next to it. The interesting thing about Transkei except for its beauty and golfing is of course its history as an ‘independent’ state.



Mthatha was also a place where we had our first waentjie trouble.

Of course I cannot forget about the Youth and Heritage Centre in Qunu. I still have problems with defining what that place was. It wasn’t a museum because there was no real exhibition. Youth Centre? As I’m not a very sociable youth, I don’t know how different youth centers should look like, but from the lack of any kind of youth there I assume it doesn’t qualify as that as well. I think it was supposed to be a place where one can go and see and feel the environment Nelson Mandela grew up in. I love places like this but the Centre in Qunu lacked the feeling. I think it would be nice to just walk around these Qunu fields (kind of heritage walk) instead of looking at a blue tractor from a viewing platform. People in South Africa really adore Mandela so the unpopularity of the Qunu Youth and Heritage Centre really baffles me.




Youth and Heritage Centre in Qunu
ADRIAN PTASZYŃSKI - Philosophy and Brandy
Unfortunately, we have to move on west along the coast to live up to the schedule. We say a pretty goodbye to our host in the morning, some nice words along with the set of souvenirs spelling out ''I've been to Poland/Someone from Poland visited me'' so that she can brag about this doubtful privilege when her friends come to ''kuier''. I distinctly remember being amazed every time I looked out of the car window, and not being able to believe how beautiful the country really is – and how fast and utterly the vegetation and the landscape changes. The unbelievably fairy-talish, endless green fields of the Transkei constantly make me wonder what is behind the hill and I am dying to check it. The museum of Mandela along the way is quite poorly developed, and it loses out on much of its potential, plus I hate worshiping individuals of ambiguous morality as almost gods. We finally reach Grahamstown and are divided – for the first time – between different hosts. Ours is Marius Vermaak, a Philosophy professor, but apparently also a Posh Evening Party professor. We have a wonderful time and I have a very sophisticated brandy along with some quality philosophy discussion with Marius before bed.








From Durban to Grahamstown

No comments:

Post a Comment